Thursday, April 22, 2010

How a wrist injury leads to spending money

Here's the story:
I had bronchitis, and then got better, and then caught a cold. I was in a bad mood. I was low on oxygen. It had been weeks since I'd drawn anything and I was in a hurry to get home. My slightly sore wrist got caught in my bag strap (I don't have a desk so my bag is heavy) and I heard a bit of an unpleasant sound.

No permanent damage, but I couldn't scoot home and do art, but for new reasons. Not broken, just a bit of wonkification. Now I'm rested, healed, and happy. After I mow I plan on working on some top secret art for PonyIsland. (Actually, being on an accidental break was a bit refreshing. It did seem like the fates were working hard on it!)

But hey, do you know what I was able to do with my wrist in a neutral position?

Spend lots of money!

On spinning!

I don't know what I'm doing, my yarn looks a little bit like President Nixon horked it out, and it's terribly time consuming. And it's also very satisfying. Actually, I really feel lucky that I got pushed in this direction. Technically, I've been spinning since I was wee (with purloined cotton balls), and I've had a learn to spin kit for years, but it wasn't until I stumbled on the treasure trove on info on the internet, plus a copy of Spinning in the Old Way by Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts, that I was brave enough to go forth. Plus, I was bored out of my gourd.



It's given me lots of ideas for fiber art and jewelry, which has renewed my confidence in "Operation Earn Moolah for Visiting my Irish BFFL". Or maybe just my confidence in designing, since saving up money is still the better plan. (ILU IBFFL)

But until then...how about I try to, now wait for, because this is crazy, really just out of control, I'm going to try to figure out what I'm doing.

No, don't walk away! There really is hope!

Here's my plan:

Step 1: Learn to spin.

Step 2: DONE!



Haha, kidding, kidding!

Actually, I am most interested in this:
I have stumbled on several sources claiming that yarn destined for crochet needs to be spun and plied differently from yarn destined for knitting. Is that true?

So I will:

Crochet 8 coasters:
1: z-twist singles (translation: yarn that has been spun in the normal clockwise direction and not plied) crocheted tightly
2. z-twist singles crocheted loosely
3. s-twist singles (translation: a single strand spun in the TOTALLY BIZARRO counterclockwise direction, the direction suggested for crochet) crocheted tightly
4. s-twist singled crocheted loosely

5. s-plied (this is normal, z-twist singles and s-plied yarn, meaning it has two strands in it locked together to make yarn) yarn crocheted tightly
6. s-plied yarn crocheted loosely
7. z-plied (again, this is abnormal, and recommended for crochet) yarn crocheted tightly
8. s-plied yarn crocheted loosely

Why am I doing this?

Because I usually crochet! And if yarn for crochet needs to be made "backwards" then I guess I'd rather know now than later. And if the way I crochet with it (tight or loose) matters, then I want to know that, too.

I actually have the plied yarns done, since I guessed them to be a little easier. The ply both evens out irregularities in spinning, and cancels out over-energized singles - or so I've heard.

So, I will be posting my spinning progress, as well as my sampler pattern.

I can't wait. :)

No comments: